Tuesday 19 March 2013

Week 3- If Pain Persists: The power of perception


If nothing else, the trip to UQ’s beautiful Art Museum to see Linde Ivimey’s If Pain Persists Sculpture exhibit taught me a valuable life lesson; not to judge things based on the first glance. I admittedly had not done any previous research into what the exhibit was that we were going to be engaging with, so to my shock I found her artworks initially to be incredibly confronting and at times a little overwhelming. The concepts in my mind did not seem to add up. How could you have something so disgusting as bones and human hair representing yourself as a child? But as our wonderful guide for the day explained the stories behind the sculptures, the pieces and bits of information in my head began to fit together. What was initially a very confronting exhibit full of odd bits and pieces ended up being a very well thought through exhibition that illustrated great craftsmanship and detailing.

Above I mentioned that I learnt very specifically from this instance at the exhibit that perception is so incredibly important in terms of how different people view one particular piece of artwork. With a class full of people witnessing the same exhibit, everyone’s worldview influenced how they were to perceive the artwork in front of them. Some people were really into it, whilst others were rather cautious and viewed from a distance.

What I found to be most curious of all was when we initially looked at the large sculpture of twelve small figures lined up, without faces, wearing rags for clothing and linking themselves together. Before looking at the title I did an initial brainstorm as to what I thought the piece of art was about. In this initial brainstorm I came up with ideas such as the blind following the blind, prisoners, poor strugglers, slaves, all of which were rather negative ideas. When it was revealed that the sculpture was depicting the Twelve Apostles I was initially shocked and for some reason felt a little disrespected. To me, those prior thoughts of what I had in mind for the sculpture prior to knowing the title were not traits that I would ever associate with Jesus’ most loyal followers. In fact, the term blind following the blind, or even, blind leading the blind made me wonder what Linde’s religious background was. Did she dislike Christianity? Did she think that the Apostles were clueless? I found myself in a state of disequilibrium not knowing or understanding where she was going with the idea.

Since seeing the exhibit I have read her online resource that states that she “had an opportunity to explore spirituality and a grouping whose blind faith fascinated her”. I believe it strongly comes down to the individual world view that a person comes with when they look at a piece of art. For an initial brainstorm can tell you one thing, but the moment a title or label is given to it, the perspective instantly shifts and as long term memory allows points of relevance to be connected to the new artwork, you can no longer see it in the exact same way that you did before.   

To me it is absolutely astonishing at how some pieces of information can drastically change the way a person perceives and interprets something. The moment I was told the name of the piece my perspective instantly flipped and drastically changes as I brought together a heap of prior knowledge in regards to that topic and began to work out the little nuances that the artist had created within the artwork. That for me was very confronting. I have never before experiences such a drastic and rapid change in how I have perceived something before. Yet, even in reflection I still understand how I thought the way I did when I initially saw the piece, and again, what I see now.
Image Reference: Courtesy of The University of Queensland's Art Museum Online Resources

No comments:

Post a Comment